Monday, August 19, 2024

A Bee Flew into My Mouth While I was Riding Against the Wind

That's basically it. I was biking home from Jackie Robinson Park, 8 1/2 miles...and Manhattan has cliffs on that upper west side so places that appear to be close on the map are separated by great differences in altitude, anyway, the route home met with wind flowing steadily north (the tail end of Hurrican Ernesto) and by the time I got near Union Square my mouth was wide open, I guess I open it to expand the nasal breathing and to exhale, so a bee flew into it and I removed it and I felt the definitive placement of its sting at the very base below the tongue. I road home and surprised Maira and Zora with the news and the request for assistance. Maira was cooking and found it hard to put into perspective that I was actually in an emergency state. Zora was interested in seeing and I tried to angle the phone flashlight as I couldn't find another flashlight. Then I took a useless tweeser and began playing with the area holding the phone with one hand and the wide ended tweezer with the other. Then Maira took over and I remembered my father somehow left me a tweezer which I'd taken to London as part of my bath baggie, and there it was thin and elegant. I actually found that and she began using it. However, whatever Maira tried to tweeze beneath the tongue seemed to move away on its own. That base beneath the tongue is extremely amorphous. She said I can't get it and held in the tweezer the stinger. She did get it. We put it on a piece of paper with scotch tape over it. You could see the length of sharpness of the stinger... 1/8 of an inch, with its venom sack. It was out of my mouth. Sure I still have some swelling. It feels like I have a flap below my tongue. I can say it: I got stung beneath the tongue.

No comments: